Monday, April 24, 2006

Back To Basics

I was made to love You, I was made to worship at Your feet. And to be with You, LORD. I was made for you.

I was taking my usual midday walk 3 days ago when the lyrics of this song appeared in my head. I started whistling out loud. Joy flooded my heart instantaneously. It had been a while. I had been on a short but arduous inner journey. Transition is never easy, even the consideration of it, when taken seriously, weighs us down. How do we decide? Does purpose, vision or people play a part in our consideration? What about the peace of the Lord that affirms our decision and the Helper who guides us in the process?

"And I will pray to the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever - the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." John 14:16 - 17 NKJV. Recently that I had the privilege of being considered for an opportunity that would logically enhance my professional credentials, not to mention the bank account. Strangely, my heart did not jump at the attractiveness of the career incentives nor the financial rewards. Instead, I was quite torn within. A higher pay and an opportune career move or to continue serving the LORD's purpose where He has planted me? After a brief but intense struggle, I chose the latter.

Why? Because the peace of the LORD entered my heart the moment I chose to give up a bigger material pie so that I can focus on being available and moulded as His instrument and a transformation agent where I am currently. "Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." Luke 15:10 NKJV. People matter to God. Moreover, God has given His children a Helper, whom we know, who dwells with us and is in us; who aids us in discerning His will for our lives.

"Look at the ravens, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, carefree in the care of God. And you can count far more. Has anyone by fussing before the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? If fussing can't even do that, why fuss at all? Walk into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They don't fuss with their appearance - but have you ever seen colour and design quite like it?......If God gives such attention to the wildflowers, most of them never even seen, don't you think He'll attend to you, take pride in you, do His best for you?" Luke 12:24 - 28 The Message.

"What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not to be preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way He works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself......The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being." Luke 12:29 - 32, 34. The Message.

I do not know what the future holds, but I know God is faithful and what He has purposed will come to past. "I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not to abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. When you come looking for me, you'll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed. " GOD's DECREE. Jeremiah 29:11- 14 The Message.

Besides the Helper, there are folks whom the LORD has blessed me with whose availability, advice and support accompanied me through the process. Nanc, your heart and availability is the best thing that happened to me at the desk. Grace, I thank God for blessing me with a sister, friend and prayer partner in you at the workplace. Han Gor, for understanding my struggle and for sharing your conviction and personal journey with me. Bao, until your support and faith, it felt like I was walking alone. Last but not the least, I give thanks and praise to the LORD my God for traveling with me on this journey and giving me the affirmation to continue to nurture and pursue the desires of my heart. "For in Him, we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:28 NKJV. I believe there will be other opportunities to move on but for now, it's time for me to get back to basics, and for me, basics is Christ.

Christos',

Sv ",+

No comments: